The ProForm Performance 400i Treadmill is iFit enabled, is iFit Coach Ready and is great for walking and jogging. ProForm is a part of the group Icon Fitness, that builds NordicTrack, Weslo, Gold’s Gym, Epic, as well as Image.
ProForm is a brand that offers the best value fitness machines in the price range of $600-$1,000. The ProForm Performance 400i treadmill is one of the best treadmills for home use and is a good example of a machine of high-quality available at a lower price.
It has a few limitations, but the treadmill surpasses many other comparably priced machines. Although people mostly buy this machine as a running treadmill, it is recommended primarily for walking along with light jogging for 1-2 smaller users who exercise many times a week.
Tall users might require a treadmill that has a bigger motor and a large running or walking surface. Read through the ProForm 400i treadmill Review 2019 to know more about the treadmill and its offerings.
Best Suited to Whom?
The Performance 400i Treadmill has been designed for users who wish to use the machine solely for walking. This treadmill can reach about 10 MPH, it is not recommended to utilize a higher speed.
The light frame of this machine can get bouncy if used at higher speeds, and this can get unnerving. However, walkers can get a good workout in this treadmill with the help of incline settings, which is between 0-10% incline.
It is perfect for those users who wish to learn. The navigation on the console on the ProForm 400i treadmill can get tricky, in case you are accustomed to simple and straightforward consoles.
Once you have understood the navigation, it is quite simple however, you must be willing to spare some time to get familiarized with the machine. The ProForm 400i treadmill is perfect for those who have limited space as it is a small treadmill.
It measures about 35.5” wide and 73.25” long and can fit easily into small home spaces. Once the machine is folded up, it measures just 39” long and you can store it easily.
ProForm 400i Treadmill Assembly, Design and Build Quality
Assembly and Maintenance
The ProForm 400i treadmill deck, drive motors, the incline, the belt as well as rollers come pre-assembled and are fixed to the front base of the treadmill’s frame.
Therefore, the assembly will only require you to fix the console masts as well as the console, and connect the cables. This will not require more than 30-40 minutes. The package includes Hex keys that are needed for assembly.
However, you will require your personal adjustable wrench along with a Phillips screwdriver. The instruction manual that accompanies the treadmill gives you step-by-step instructions.
For maintenance of the treadmill, it is advised to check the machine regularly for any loose parts and bolts and retighten them if required.
The tread belt has to be kept clean and must be free of textile fibers, dirt or other objects which might get stuck in the motor.
When it comes to lubrication, the deck of the treadmill arrives pre-waxed and might not need further lubrication for quite a long period of time.
Design and Build Quality
The ProForm 400i Treadmill is a bit smaller in contrast to the ProForm 600i treadmill model. However, the treadmill is pretty large for a fitness machine takes a floor space of about 73.25″ x 35.5″ (186 x 90 cm).
In addition to this, a clearance space has to be added to make sure the machine is used properly, which is a minimum of 3′ at the rear, and a minimum of 2′ on every side.
The deck can be folded up, however, this will reduce its length by half, thereby offering the user better storage possibilities.
The folding mechanism of this treadmill does not consist of the soft-drop hydraulic element, so when you lower the deck it is advised to lower it safely by yourself.
When you fold it up, the treadmill’s deck locks with a latch pin onto the left console mast. You must bear in mind that if you wish to lift or fold/unfold the deck of the treadmill, you must be in a position to lift about 45 lbs.
The ProForm 400i treadmill is a mid-range treadmill, yet it is quite a heavy machine. The assembled weight of this treadmill is about 200 lbs (91 kg), which indicates that the assembly process would require two people.
However, once the treadmill is completely assembled, it can be relocated easily because the front base has transport wheels. On the other hand, the machine is quite heavy and this is an advantage as it makes the treadmill more stable, and the user can perform well during running workouts.
Evidently, the frame of the ProForm 400i treadmill is made using steel and has a maximum user weight capacity of about 300 lbs (136 kg). All the steel elements of the machine have a black powder coating that is corrosion-resistant.
The model is available only in this color. PVC is used for the side rail covers along with many other protective covers ( such as the cover for the motor, joint covers, etc).
ProForm 400i Treadmill Features
1. Motor: The Proform 400i treadmill is well-equipped with a motor that is quite similar in terms of capacity to that of the AFG Sport 5.5 AT. The treadmill has a 2.5 CHP motor that has been designed to specifically support running workout.
It also offers a speed range that is between 0.5 MPH – 10 MPH. The motor has a small flywheel which is an element that enhances the rotation stability and also reduces vibration.
2. Incline: The ProForm 400i treadmill is well-equipped with an incline system that is motorized. This means that the incline can be adjusted only from the control unit.
The incline system includes a small lift that is connected to the frame’s front base, and this is powered with the help of a small motor.
When the incline is being adjusted, the front part of the deck slowly elevates. The incline range offered by the treadmill is from 0- 10%.
3. Belt: The ProForm 400i treadmill comes with a running surface of dimensions 55″L x 20″W (140 x 51 cm). It can accommodate users up to the height of 6’1″ – 6’2″ (185 – 188 cm) comfortably.
The treadmill is powered with the help of a heavy-duty belt that is resistant to stretching. It combines 1.9″ balanced as well as precision-machined rollers, that have sealed ball bearings and are designed to last for decades.
4. Cushioning: The ProForm 400i treadmill also comes with 2 ProShox cushioning cells that are on both sides. This absorbs about 20% of the impact of the workout. This leads to less pain while training and working out for long periods.
5. Console: The Proform Performance 400i treadmill is furnished with a console that is similar to the console in the ProForm 600i treadmill. It has an LED-type display that can track pace, watts, time, calories, distance, as well as display the selected incline as well as speed levels.
The user can calculate the speed in either MPH or km/h, whereas the distance can be monitored in either miles or kilometers. The console has been set by default to monitor these metrics in terms of MPH and miles.
The console is iFit-enabled and has Bluetooth connectivity. This means the user can sync the treadmill with their tablet, smartphone, or laptop and transfer the workout data directly to their iFit Account as well as access the iFit Coach app.
6. Heart Rate Monitor: The ProForm 400i treadmill can not just track the pulse of the user through the EKG grip sensors that have been integrated into the handlebars at the front, but it also is compatible with the HR chest strap transmitters.
The console is quite compatible with every Bluetooth smart heart rate monitor.
7. Weight and height capacity: The ProForm 400i treadmill has a maximum weight capacity of about 300 lbs and this means that anyone can use the 400i comfortably.
When it comes to the limits on the height if you are taller you might require a model with longer strides like the ProForm 600i treadmill or the ProForm 800i Treadmill.
8. Folding: The ProForm 400i treadmill folds up however, it does not have the hydraulic system that many other treadmills have. Without the hydraulic system, users will have to be quite careful when they raise and lower the deck of the treadmill.
You will have to secure the treadmill using a spring-release bolt, instead of the treadmill getting automatically latched. You can check out the T101 that comes with a hydraulic system as well as automatic latching.
9. Entertainment: The sound system of the ProForm 400i treadmill is compatible with many MP3 players, tablets, and smartphones. The jack is located directly above the safety key with the controls for the volume.
10. Tablet Holder: The tablet holder is attached to the console’s topmost part and can easily accommodate most of the full-sized tablets.
- Cooling Fan: The ProForm 400i treadmill does not come with a cooling fan.
- Dashboard: The dashboard can hold small accessories, like earplugs, keys, TV remote, etc. It also includes space for two molded cups.
- iFit Coach enabled: The iFit subscription is a new way of working out with a virtual ambiance in the comfort of your home. There are numerous options of trainer-led videos available that will help enhance the cardio as well as build the lower body strength.
You can choose from any outdoor view like the beach, city, mountains, etc., through Google maps or you can select indoor studios that offer an assortment of trainers who incorporate all fitness levels as well as exercises with your machine.
Regardless of whether the machine has 50 in-built workouts or has iFit workouts, the treadmill will sync in order to line up with the level of resistance of the specific workout being conducted by the instructor or terrain.
ProForm 400i Treadmill Workout Programs
There is a wide variety of workout programs for users to work with in order to enhance their walking strength and overall fitness. The ProForm 400i Treadmill has about 50 in-built workout programs that include calorie burn, inclines, speed, high intensity, and mixed workouts.
Along with the 50 workout programs, the treadmill also comes with the iFit Coach app, wherein the user gets access to a wide range of trainer-led videos and can workout in landscapes all across the world to even an indoor studio.
This is quite a motivating factor that ensures that you always use the treadmill and never miss your workouts. The treadmill is iFit enabled and will sync well with the elevation of different terrains that are chosen by the user that could be in any area of the world through Google Maps.
ProForm 400i Treadmill Warranty and Guarantee
The ProForm 400i Treadmill comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame and deck. It also has 25 years warranty on the motor, 1 year on parts and labor. The brand also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all Proform treadmills.
ProForm 400i Treadmill Pros & Cons
When it comes to walking treadmills, the ProForm 400i Treadmill is a perfect match. It is one of the best treadmills for walking. You can try running on this treadmill, however, it might not be as durable and comfortable.
The ProForm 400i Treadmill is one of the best treadmills for senior citizens, rehabilitation and people who are looking for an option to walk comfortably indoors.
Overall, the brand ProForm is quite good and they offer a good warranty on the product. So if you are on the lookout for a treadmill for light jogging or walking or for your senior family members, then the ProForm 400i Treadmill is a good pick.