Are you in search of the best treadmills for walking? Here is the list of the best treadmills for walkers of 2020 found in the research. Walking is one of the best exercises which has very little or no impact on your joints. There are many treadmills in the market which are specially designed for walking.
Let’s check the treadmills out if you are the kind of person who loves walking over any other form of exercise. Here is the list of top treadmills for walkers curated based on the research performed as well as the experience of working in the field.
The appealing designs and the ergonomic factors will bind you to the treadmills as well as it is pocket friendly and a super saver treadmill. Fitness at home is mostly treadmill because without a treadmill you can’t bring fitness to your home. Treadmills can be very expensive if you choose to buy them extensively.
If you love walks then yes you are lucky because the treadmills for the purpose of walks also give you a proper workout session. No, they won’t cost you a fortune, they are cheap. As the simple treadmills for walking will be in your budget, it will also have a motor of less capacity which is 2.5 CHP when compared to the smaller running belt than the other treadmills.
As you love running, this walk exercise machine will completely ensure your sessions with proper work-outs. The best treadmills for walking and light jogging comes in all price ranges depending upon your use.
These walking exercise machines mostly have the workout space of 20 inches or 22 inches in width and 55 inches in length. All you need to do is to find the one for you. The one thing that you should keep in mind while buying a walking machine is that the lesser the workout space, the higher the risk of safety and work-out tension.
Less space at home? Don’t worry, you can also go for the folding walking treadmill that would save a lot of space in your home and will be safe and comfortable. Also, they have enough work-out space for your session and can be folded after your workout has ended and would become a space saver treadmill.
Yes, it is known to all that buying a walking machine is quite hectic and can be confusing but to make your problem solve, here is the list of best rated treadmills for walking in which you can choose your type of walking treadmill.
Our Best Choice – The Winner Treadmill
Treadmills For Walkers Awards
Why is a Treadmill used for Walking?
Walking is unavoidable in our daily life so if you can stay fit by just walking as it is the best exercise. Yes, of course, unless you are medically prescribed not to walk. Since walking doesn’t require a distinct space or plan, it can easily be beneficial to your health.
Walking has numerous health benefits. It improves the cardiovascular activity of your heart thus strengthening the muscles and improving its longevity. Having a brisk walk daily improves lung capacity and keeps stroke, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. at bay.
Walking is a less stressful exercise, and it doesn’t involve much physical strain. It doesn’t affect your joints as jogging or running does, and it doesn’t exert much force on the treadmill you are using.
So you don’t need an expensive or high powered treadmill for jogging. A simple treadmill for walking is enough to keep you fit. For a walker, the best treadmill for walking and light jogging will always be the one with a shorter belt, which will keep your treadmill in a compact size.
You may only need a simple treadmill for walking, but there are some things to consider before buying a treadmill rather than making a random choice.
Buying Guide to Select the Best Treadmills for Walkers
1. Design: Walking treadmills are available in a plethora of designs and sizes. Is it your personal preference whether you want the treadmill for your home or your office? Do you need a treadmill with a heavy frame? Do you prefer a sleek frame?
Whatever your answers may be, there are treadmills available for all options. If you are investing in a treadmill for office use, then a flat treadmill without a frame is recommended, which will slide under the desk. You can easily take a walk while at work without major changes with regard to the furniture.
The stability can be an issue with flat treadmills since there is no support in the form of handrails. If you are someone who needs support while walking, then it is suggested that you go for a treadmill with handrails.
2. Belt Area: Treadmills usually have similar footprints, and they don’t vary much with different models. Usually, a treadmill is 7 feet long along the length and 3 feet along the width. Most of that space is used by the belt. The best treadmill is the one that suits you the best and not the expensive one.
It must get along with your biomechanics and work out style. For a tall person, belt length should be at least 60 inches to have a comfortable workout, but for most people, 55 inches is fine. If you are a jogger or a runner, then you will need a stronger and expensive treadmill, but if you are a walker, a compact folding treadmill will do.
The belt’s width isn’t much of a concern as you won’t extend your leg beyond your hip width. But it can provide a feeling of spaciousness to be at ease while working out. Generally, most of them have enough width, but some are as narrow as 18 inches, but it will be better if you have extra space.
3. Strong Motor: The power of the treadmill motor matters a lot, depending on what kind of workout you are planning to do on it. The power of the motor is measured in continuous horsepower (CHP). Expensive treadmills have strong motors with power ranging from 3 CHP – 4 CHP, which is more than enough for a brisk walk.
There are motors that start with 2 CHP, but 2.5 CHP is an optimum choice if you want a simple treadmill for walking as it will provide consistent power even if you are above 200lbs. And it is always safe to buy a treadmill with extra power so that if you intend to have an intense workout session, it will stay sufficient. For E.g. BalanceFrom GoFit High-Density Treadmill
4. Warranty: A warranty can be taken as an indication of the durability of the products. Be careful not to choose treadmills with warranty periods below six months because that might indicate that the treadmill will fail after that period.
Most of the customers say that the manufacturing defects can only be detected after a year of continuous usage. Reliable companies offer a lifetime warranty on the frame, and multi-year warranties on other parts, so make sure you buy a treadmill with a long warranty period.
5. Fitness Objectives: What you desire to achieve through a workout is an important question you must ask yourself before choosing any fitness equipment. You may be planning to become an athlete or just trying to benefit your overall health through the workout.
A simple treadmill for walking is enough for maintaining your overall health. If you are old, then choose the best treadmill for senior walking or find the best treadmill for walking and light jogging at the mere expense of money won’t ensure you a good fitness experience.
6. Budget: The cost of the exercise machines goes up with the sturdiness of the treadmill. And it is important if you are planning to use it for faster running. A cheap machine won’t be able to withstand too much hard usage. Moreover, an expensive machine will have longer periods of warranty over the parts.
They will also be having a steeper incline to increase your productivity. Costly machines do offer facilities like MP3 players, internet, and USB ports, but they are not really a necessity when it comes to fitness.
If you are on a tight budget, you can easily find the best treadmill for walking under $500, which may be enough for your purpose. For, E.g., Goplus Electric Treadmill is the best walking treadmill under $500.
7. The Size of the Machine: Generally, treadmills are of the same size, with 77 inches length and 35 inches width. Most of the apartments have small rooms, so compact-sized folding treadmills are preferred by most of the people. They can be easily stored in half the space, but they require some space to assemble back.
8. Incline: The incline on a treadmill was earlier considered a luxury, but it has become a common feature even on cheaper treadmills nowadays. The incline helps in having a challenging workout by increasing the strain for walking.
Walking on an incline can be as challenging as running on a flat track, increasing the total efficiency of your workout. Incline training is itself a special category. It helps in cardio challenges and muscle training. For, eg. EFITMENT Auto Incline Bluetooth Motorized Treadmill
9. Programming: Company defined programming modes are quite useful for beginners to finish their work out. The programs are set differently by different companies based on research and on what they feel is better for their users.
Most of the treadmills have around six workout modes, including a manual mode for people who desire customizations.
Newer treadmills have wireless connections making it easier for trainers to set workout plans and monitor the statistics through a mobile app. Some even offer a virtual reality workout atmosphere by playing videos and audios to give us a feeling that we are actually running somewhere else.
10. Extra features: If you have enough cash to spend on treadmills, it can become a piece of luxury where you add infinitely many features depending on your likings. Whether it be for making your workout entertaining or more efficient, there are many options to choose from.
- Speakers can be coupled with the treadmill giving you a tangle-free musical experience during the workout.
- MP3 connections and USB ports are actually a necessity if you want to connect your devices to it or collect data on your workout.
- Some of the treadmills have fans that will keep you cool during the entire running session.
- A walking treadmill desk is always preferred where you can keep your magazines, tablets, or laptops, which you can use while working out. For, E.g., TrekDesk Treadmill Desk
- WiFi is also gaining popularity as it helps in wireless monitoring of your health status. For, E.g., Fitbill B612
Benefits of Walking on Treadmills
We all know that a healthy body is necessary for a happy life and can only be gained through daily exercise. Before buying a treadmill, you must also know the health benefits your body will get after using the treadmill.
1. Musculoskeletal Strength: Your whole body weight is carried by you while walking. This will help in building your skeletal strength and in maintaining a healthy body. Bone damage and tissue damage that occurs will drastically reduce with walking.
2. Toning: Walking helps in toning your muscles from bottom to top a bit, especially your leg muscles. Using a treadmill with the proper inclination can help you more in this regard.
3. Cardiovascular Health: Brisk walking increases the blood flow inside the body, and it strengthens heart muscles. This will help in reducing blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. and the chances of getting affected by stroke and heart disease are nullified. It overall improves your body health.
4. Joint Flexibility: Walking doesn’t cause as much strain on your joints as running or jogging does. But it keeps all your joints in motion, therefore, helping it to stay flexible and prevents the muscles from getting stiff.
Treadmills even have shock absorption technology, and this will again aid in reducing the impact on joints, which would have occurred if you were walking on the pavement. Therefore, making a treadmill a better choice for walking than an ordinary country walk as it can only help you and not cause any physical damage.
5. Maintains Weight: Regular walk on a treadmill can keep your body weight in check. With the overall maintenance of the body and enhancement of muscle structure, it also increases the metabolism rate, thus controlling the body weight.
6. Reduces your Risk of Disease: Many diseases can be easily prevented by walking regularly. Diseases like Type 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, certain types of cancer, and degenerative arthritis are mostly caused by the inactivity of human beings.
Before you buy the treadmill for the purpose of walking or light jogging, you need to check out all the features and importance. If you are buying a simple treadmill for walking for the purpose, you should buy the one with the robust frame and spacious belt surface which will be a perfect fit for your room and is silent and stable.
A simple treadmill for walking is quite cheaper than other treadmills. Though it can be made with fewer features and cheaper materials and that doesn’t mean that you should sacrifice your convenience for a more affordable model and go for the model that suits your work-out.
Stay healthy and stay happy. Good luck with your workout!