If you decide to bring fitness home then a treadmill will be your obvious choice. Treadmills are way too expensive and big if you plan to extensively run on them. If you are a walker then you are in luck because a simple treadmill for walking is enough to ensure a proper work out session. And they are cheaper too. Since they are within your budget they will be having a weaker motor of 2.5 CHP and a smaller running belt but it is more than enough for walkers and light joggers.
You can easily find the best treadmill for walking and light jogging as it is available in all price ranges. These compact treadmills usually have workout areas of 20” or 22” wide and at least 55” long but you should always find the one specific for you. Also, you must be cautious when you select a treadmill with less workout area as it will make your whole workout tiresome and unsafe. If you are in dire need of conserving space then you must get a folding treadmill which is both safe and comfortable. They have enough workout space and by folding it over you can keep your room spacious once the workout is complete.
Finding the right treadmill is difficult with the plethora of options available so we have decided to help you. We have listed out the best-rated treadmills for walking from which you can choose the right one for you.
Top 5 Treadmills for Walking
<table>[table id=4 /]
Why is a Treadmill used for Walking?
Walking is unavoidable in our daily life so if you can stay fit by just walking as it is the best exercise. Yes, of course, unless you are medically prescribed not to walk. Since walking doesn’t require a distinct space or plan, it can easily be beneficial to your health.
Walking has numerous health benefits. It improves the cardiovascular activity of your heart thus strengthening the muscles and improving its longevity. Having a brisk walk daily improves the lung capacity and keeps stroke, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. at bay.
Walking is a less stressful exercise and it doesn’t involve much physical strain. It doesn’t affect your joints as jogging or running does and it doesn’t exert much force on the treadmill you are using. So you don’t need an expensive or high powered treadmill for jogging a simple treadmill for walking is enough to keep you fit.For a walker, the best treadmill for walking and light jogging will always be the one with a shorter belt which will keep your treadmill in a compact size.
You may only need a simple treadmill for walking but there are some things to consider before buying a treadmill rather making a random choice.[table id=4 /]
Tips to Select the Best Treadmills for Walkers
1. Belt Area – Treadmills usually have similar footprints and they don’t vary much with different models. Normally a readmill is 7 feet long along the length and 3 feet along the width. Most of that space is used by the belt. The best treadmill is the one that suits you the best and not the expensive one. It must get along with your biomechanics and work out style. For a tall person belt length should be at least 60 in order to have a comfortable workout but for most of the people, 55 inches are fine. If you are a jogger or a runner then you will need a stronger and expensive treadmill but if you are a walker a compact folding treadmill will do.
The width of the belt isn’t much of a concern as you won’t extend your leg beyond your hip width. But it can provide with a feeling of spaciousness to be at ease while working out. Generally, most of them have enough width but some are as narrow as 18 inches but it will be better if you have extra space.
2. Strong Motor – The power of the treadmill motor matters a lot depending on what kind of workout you are planning to do on it. The power of the motor is measured in continuous horsepower (CHP). Expensive treadmills have strong motors with power ranging from 3 CHP – 4 CHP which is more than enough for a brisk walk. There are motors that start with 2 CHP but 2.5 CHP is an optimum choice if you want a simple treadmill for walking as it will provide consistent power even if you are above 200lbs. And it is always safe to buy a treadmill with extra power so that if you intend to have an intense workout session it will still stay sufficient. For E.g. BalanceFrom GoFit High-Density Treadmill.
3. Warranty – A warranty can be taken as an indication of the durability of the products. So be careful not to choose treadmills with warranty periods below 6 months because that might be an indication that the treadmill will fail after that period. Most of the customer says that the manufacturing defects can only be detected after a year of continuous usage. Reliable companies offer a lifetime warranty on the frame and multi-year warranties on other parts so make sure you buy a treadmill with a long warranty period.
4. Fitness Objectives – What you desire to achieve through a workout is an important question you must ask yourself before choosing any fitness equipment. You may be planning to become an athlete or just trying to benefit your overall health through the workout. A simple treadmill for walking is enough for maintaining your overall health. If you are old then choose the best treadmill for senior walking or find the best treadmill for walking and light jogging mere expense of money won’t ensure you a good fitness experience.
5. Budget – The cost of the exercise machines goes up with the sturdiness of the treadmill. And it is important if you are planning to use it for faster running. A cheap machine won’t be able to withstand too much hard usage. Moreover, an expensive machine will have longer periods of warranty over the parts. They will also be having a steeper incline to increase your productivity. Costly machines do offer facilities like MP3 players, internet and USB ports but they are not really a necessity when it comes to fitness. If you are on a tight budget you can easily find the best treadmill for walking under $500 which may be enough for your purpose. For E.g. Goplus Electric Treadmill is the best walking treadmill under $500.
6. The Size of the Machine – Generally, treadmills are of the same size with 77 inches length and 35 inches width. Most of the apartments have small rooms so compact sized folding treadmills are preferred by most of the people. They can be easily stored in half the space but they require some space to assemble back.
7. Incline on a treadmill was earlier considered as a luxury but nowadays it has become a common feature even on cheaper treadmills. Incline helps in having a challenging workout by increasing the strain for walking. Walking on an incline can be as challenging as running on a flat track, therefore, increasing the total efficiency of your workout. Incline training is itself a special category it helps in cardio challenges and muscle training. For eg. EFITMENT Auto Incline Bluetooth Motorized Treadmill.
8. Programming – Company defined programming modes are quite useful for beginners to finish their work out. The programs are set differently by different companies based on researches and on what they feel is better for their users. Most of the treadmills have around 6 workout modes which will also include a manual mode for people who desire customizations. Newer treadmills are having wireless connection making it easier for trainers to set workout plans and monitor the statistics through a mobile app. Some even offer virtual reality workout atmosphere by playing videos and audios to give us a feeling that we are actually running somewhere else.
9. Extra features – If you have enough cash to spend on treadmills, it can become a piece of luxury where you add infinitely many features depending on your likings. Whether it be for making your workout entertaining or more efficient there is a multitude of options to choose from.
- Speakers can be coupled with the treadmill giving you a tangle free musical experience during the workout.
- MP3 connections and USB port are actually a necessity if you want to connect your devices on to it or collect data of your workout.
- Some of the treadmills have fans that will keep you cool during the entire running session.
- A walking treadmill desk is always preferred where you can keep your magazines, tablets or laptops which you can use while working out. For E.g. TrekDesk Treadmill Desk
- WiFi is also gaining popularity as it helps in wireless monitoring of your health status. For E.g. Fitbill B612
Benefits of Walking on Treadmills
We all know that a healthy body is necessary for a happy life and that it can only be gained through daily exercise. Before buying a treadmill you must also know the health benefits your body will get after using the treadmill.
- Musculoskeletal Strength – Your whole body weight is carried by you while walking. This will help in building you skeletal strength and in maintaining a healthy body. Bone damage and tissue damage that occurs with will drastically reduce with walking.
- Toning – Walking helps in toning your muscles from bottom to top bit especially your leg muscles. Using a treadmill with the proper inclination can help you more in this regard.
- Cardiovascular Health – Brisk walking increases the blood flow inside the body and it strengthens heart muscles. This will help in reducing blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. and the chances of getting affected by stroke and heart disease are nullified. It overall improves your body health.
- Joint Flexibility – Walking doesn’t cause as much strain on your joints as running or jogging does. But it keeps all your joints in motion, therefore, helping it to stay flexible and prevents the muscles from getting stiff. Treadmills even have shock absorption technology and this will again aid in reducing the impact on joints which would have occurred if you were walking on a pavement. Therefore, making a treadmill a better choice for walking than a normal country walk as it can only help you and not cause any physical damage.
- Maintains Weight – Regular walk on a treadmill can keep your body weight on the check. With overall maintenance of the body and enhancement of muscle structure, it also increases the metabolism rate thus controlling the body weight.
- Reduces your Risk of Disease – Many diseases can be easily prevented by walking regularly. Diseases like Type 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, certain types of cancer, and degenerative arthritis are mostly caused by the inactivity of human beings.
Top 5 Treadmills for Walking Rundown
So, have a look at all the features that are required in a treadmill for walking and light jogging before making a buying decision. If you only need a simple treadmill for walking then make sure that you buy one with a robust frame, spacious belt surface that fits in your room, silent and stable. The controls must be user-friendly or else you will be confused with the usage at the beginning itself.
A simple treadmill for walking is comparatively cheaper as it can be made with fewer features and cheaper materials but when you buy it make sure that you are not sacrificing your conveniences for a cheaper model.
Stay healthy and stay happy. Good luck with your workout!