Best Heart Rate Monitor for HIIT 2019
High-Intensity Interval Training is the most sought-after and popular option amongst those gym-goers who intend to burn those extra calories when they are short of time or if they feel the one-hour treadmill workout isn’t doing any good to their body. These short and intense workouts either with gym equipment or without any can increase the heart rate and help burn the fat.
These High-Intensity Interval Training workouts can be done at home and all you need is the Best Chest Strap Heart Rate Monitor to monitor the heart rate in order to help you assess if your workout needs to be improved upon. You can also have a look at the Most Accurate Heart Rate Monitor if you are on the lookout for an accurate device.
In addition to these, there is a wide range of options in the wearables segment such as the Best Fitbit for HIIT or the Best Watches for HIIT Training which track the heart rate from the wrist. Some of the Best Earbuds HRM enable heart rate tracking through the ears. Irrespective of being a beginner or a pro, we have listed out some of the best heart rate monitors for HIIT 2019 which are user-friendly devices which can be purchased right away.
High-Intensity Interval Training-What is it?
High-intensity interval training is a training process which has quick and short periods of activity which are then followed by a rest period. However, in order to benefit from a HIIT, one needs specific training lessons which are best-suited for him or her. Yes, you can head to your gym with no plan in mind and work out, but it the results are always better when you are sure of what workout you would be doing which leads to optimum utilization of time and effort.
One needs to understand and ensure that any High-Intensity Interval Training workout should be just around a range of 60-90 percent of one’s maximum heart rate. When one decides to go in for the rest period, one has to ensure the heart rate comes down to around 60 percent of one’s maximum heart rate. This is very vital while working out.
The Effectiveness of HIIT in Burning Body Fat
The short intervals on intense workouts provided by HIIT increase your heart rate to the maximum and ensures it is fairly high even in the rest period, as the rest period is quite short. If the intensity of the workout interval is high, the demand for oxygen for recovery is higher as well. This leads to a shortage of oxygen in the body and the metabolism increases for approximately 48 hours post workout.
This means that HIIT burns fat while you train as well as post the training. The added advantage of shorter workouts is that the shift of the body into a “Catabolic State”(the state where the body breaks down the muscle tissue to generate fuel for the body) is less likely to happen. This ensures you don’t lose out on all the hard work and efforts put in. In a HIIT, if the work interval is shorter, the rest interval should be longer.
Calculation of the Maximum Heart Rate
One is required to subtract 220 from his or her age, in order to calculate the maximum heart rate. As one gets older, the maximum heart rate also changes, which is the reason why HIIT is a workout format that is individualized and varies according to every person. Calculation of the maximum heart rate is crucial. You can take the example of a person whose age is 45 years.
Using the calculation, his maximum heart rate will be 175 beats per minute. So the ideal target heart rate should be in the range of 120-150 beats per minute during the workout and in the range of 100-110 beats per minute in the rest period. Those who are into rigorous training activities and sports might reach 90% of their maximum heart rate. Beginners, however, will have to maintain it at 85% or below.
This calculation might vary if you have a look at the Journal published in the year 2001 by the American College of Cardiology. Whatever be the variation, always ensure that as a beginner, you need to be at around 80-85 percent of the maximum heart rate. Also, different people doing the HIIT Program will be able to work out at different intensities based on their fitness levels.
The Use of Heart Rate Monitors
The best way to ensure the optimization of the HIIT program is to monitor your heart rate and customize your workout according to your fitness level. Usage of a modern and updated heart rate monitor is required for accurate readings. The best HRM for HIIT Training will give you a better result. Nowadays, technology has enabled many companies to come up with a variety of heart rate monitors from the basic chest straps to the latest gadgets such as watches, wristbands, and earbuds.
People who love the latest gadgets and who enjoy using them can make the best use of these devices. The latest gadgets can sync with various applications, give you a weather forecast, set your alarms, calculate the calories burned while running or the miles you have completed. One can also connect with fitness forums. Before you use the device, you need to have a proper understanding of the device and its functions and how it works.
You need to be trained to use the device in the right way in order to get maximum benefit out of it. Every device may come with the Heart Rate Zone, Rest period, etc., but you need to get your base heart rate set right. To get the base heart rate, once you get up in the morning, get your heart rate checked, before you workout or before you have your cup of coffee. Once this is set, your HIIT program can be worked out as well.
Points to remember while using a Heart Rate Monitor to calculate the target heart rate at the time of a HIIT Program:
1. Pay attention to your body: If you are unwell and feel dizzy and have nausea, pay attention to your body rather than the heart rate monitor, and stop the workout and rest.
2. Target Heart Rate Varies: Always remember that the target heart rate differs from person to person and it shouldn’t bother you. The target range for you might be high or low in comparison to somebody else.
3. Maximum heart rate will not change over time: We need to remember that just like height and color of the eyes, the maximum heart rate of a person is predetermined genetically and won’t change much over time. However, as your level of fitness increases and improves, your heart will become stronger and pump out more blood per beat, thereby permitting you to work more.
4. Standard Formulas are not reliable: The most common formula to check the maximum heart rate is subtract 220 from the age, however, this can be inaccurate
5. All Heart Rate Monitors are not equal: Heart Rate Monitors that are built into the equipment can just act as a guide and are not as accurate as a chest strap or a watch. Once you begin using a heart rate monitor in every workout session, high-intensity interval workouts become enjoyable and satisfying as well.
Buying Guide to selecting the Best Fitness Tracker for HIIT:
As we select the best fitness tracker for HIIT, we need to check on some essential criteria to understand our requirements and option. HIIT refers to High-Intensity Interval Training which would need a few devices of good quality to gather all the important data for further analysis. We need to understand our specific requirements before we purchase a device. Today, in the market, there are three different kinds of heart rate monitors:
1. Optical Heart Rate: Nowadays, there are smartwatches available in the market for each and every requirement, which can be synced with our smartphones. Due to this, the optical heart rate has become quite popular. This kind of heart rate monitor makes use of LED pulsations in your arm which makes the light reflect beneath your skin.
This is how the device calculates the heart rate with the help of the density of light that returns. Check out our list of some of the Best Smartwatches with Heart Rate Monitor.
2. Chest Straps: Chest straps are the best option if you are looking for the highest accuracy in monitoring the heart rate. The chest straps are placed over the chest area and monitor the heart rate by measuring the electrical pulse. Though it is the most accurate device, it is also the most uncomfortable device. We have a list of few devices that have made it to the best chest strap heart rate monitor
3. In-ear Optomechanical: For those people who love the latest gadgets and technology, this is the perfect fitness tracker. These measure the heart rate via the skin inside the ear. These are the most expensive devices. You can read more about the Best Earbuds with HRM. We are now aware of the basic types of heart rate monitors that one can find in the market. Now, we need to understand the prominent features of these devices:
1. Water-resistant: This feature is very useful if you intend to use the device in the water while swimming. However, we are on the lookout for the Best watch for HIIT Training and not swimming. Nevertheless, in case you train outdoors, this feature will take care of the device in case of sudden rains. You can read our review on the Best HRM for Swimmers
2. Continuous Data: Most of the heart rate monitors available gather all the information and this can be transferred to any other device like your computer. But, at times, to understand how the body reacts to the workouts, we need to get the information continuously and immediately on the display screen. Here, the best Fitbit for HIIT and the Best SmartWatch With Heart Rate Monitor are the devices you should consider buying.
3. Connectivity: Bluetooth and WiFi are the two features that every person looks for in every gadget these days. These have become an essential part of our life, as they help in connecting to different devices, or transferring data, or getting internet access. All the latest gadgets come with this feature, but cheaper ones fail miserably at this. Many devices feature in our list of Best Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitors
4. Application Usage: Usage of any heart rate monitor without its respective app in your smartphone makes it tough to use the device. You may not get regular updates on audio. One has to constantly check the device screen for updates than receiving notifications on the smartphone which seems to be a good option.
5. Price: Once you are sure about the features you need in your device, you can make use of the sales to find your dream device at the best price. You can find the most affordable heart rate detectors as well if you are on a strict budget.
6. Pulse Monitors: The device comes with sensor buttons on which one needs to place the fingertips to get the pulse. These devices provide the heart rate reading on demand and it isn’t provided continuously. It is quite tricky compared to the basic chest strap heart rate monitors. If you are down with fever, or you have cold fingers, the heart rate reading might go wrong.
7. Battery Life: Irrespective of all features, a device should have great battery life. This is a feature we hunt for in all devices, bet it a smartphone or an MP3 player or a laptop. A good battery life helps you make the maximum use of your device. Some of the Best Heart Rate monitors 2019 are listed by us which could help you out.
8. Notification Alerts: This is an essential requirement because we lose track of many important events, as being updated on all events is quite difficult. A fitness band that helps you to maintain all your important events and notifies you via alerts on the events is a must buy. You can check out some of the Best Fitbits for HIIT, which will definitely get you sorted.
9. Sensors: In order to get an accurate and correct reading related to your health and data which has been collected, a fitness device needs to have sensors. These sensors help in recording every single activity thereby enabling you to analyze your health and help you to stay healthy.
10. Design: A good design is vital for a fitness device and should not be overlooked. A fitness band which is sleek and lightweight making the device comfortable to wear and convenient is the ideal device( Check out the Best Fitbits for HIIT). A bulky structure makes it tough to use and difficult to wear and take it around.
11. Style: Numerous styles of fitness tracking devices are available these days. Some may be worn as a necklace, some on the wrist (Best Wrist Heart Rate Monitors), or some may even act as a brooch which is pinned to the outfit. However, the most popular device is the wrist fitness band. If you do not like wearing it constantly on your wrist, there are a multitude of other options to choose from.
Nowadays, manufacturers concentrate more on the style, which is the reason why many of the devices look flashy and appealing, with changeable bands, whereas the rest might look dull and low profile. One needs to bear in mind, that whatever style you choose, it should be comfortable to wear even while your asleep, and can be worn with clothes of different sleeve lengths.
Those having small wrists will be uncomfortable with a bulky fitness tracker, which is why one must select a style that provides maximum comfort at all times.
12. Display: The most important feature to be looked out for is the display of the fitness band. Sophisticated fitness trackers make use of word, symbols or numbers for displaying the output, whereas others might disclose the data via an LED display screen. When you make use of a smart device to sync the data of your tracker with, the compatible application of the fitness tracker, not just archives but analyzes as well as interprets the data.
There are many specifications as well as options when it has to sync with the display of the tracker, which include Side buttons, touch sensors, size of the screen, options in colors, and visibility in varied conditions of light. It’s also necessary to purchase a tracker which has a simple interface because some devices may have an easy learning process, but some others might be complicated and not worth the price.
13. Accuracy: Fitness trackers make use of algorithms along with sensors in order to recognize all your movements and activities; which means that there exists a level of imprecision, and they are not dependable. If you need a more accurate and reliable data, you would be required to purchase a device with specific functions such as the Best Heart Rate Monitor Chest Strap which has to be strapped to the chest. The data it provides is more accurate than a wrist heart rate monitor.
Use of Treadmills for HIIT:
A treadmill is simply the perfect equipment to start working with the numbers, as you can alternate between uphill walking, slow-paced jogging with strong sprints or slow walking ( refers to active rest). Please note that certain individuals may not require sprinting to push their heart rate into the upper range. For some, even a steep hill or a simple brisk walk will be enough.
The short interval workout which lasts for 15-20 seconds requires a longer rest period because such a workout leads to higher use of energy. The typical rest period has a ratio of 2:1 but for beginners, it could even be 3:1. One needs to rely on heart rate rather than on time. The active rest period must last only until the heart rate is back to the range of 60-65 percent.
Maintaining a variety in the interval workouts help in building muscle as well as help to take care of the cardiovascular system. Once a person is comfortable in using the devices and shifting in between intervals, active rest period and steady intervals, he or she can create any type of workout to ensure optimum utilization of HIIT principles.
The Best Fitness Tracker with Heart Rate Monitor for HIIT is one that is able to report data in the most accurate manner when we need it. If you are looking for a budget-friendly device and do not require many features, you can go for Polar’s alternative. The Rhythm+ and the FUSE cater to more demanding users.
However, the main requirement is tracking information while performing HIIT workouts along with comfort during aggressive workout movements. This is where the Rhythm+ has an advantage as it is fixed to the arm. While selecting the Best Heart rate Monitor for HIIT, make sure it matches your specific requirement- be it budget friendly, or accuracy, or even trend and style.
Also, ensure you are comfortable with the device and it doesn’t disrupt your basic activities throughout the day. With our tips, you would definitely be able to find and choose the device that is best suited for you.