It also supports some customized fitness plans for both beginners as well as advanced trainees. The main aspects of this bike consists of nine workouts that are controlled by the heart rate, an extra-smooth resistance, followed by a media shelf to place your tablet, book or computer.
Read through our Schwinn 130 Upright Bike Review 2020 to know more about the bike, its features and whether it is worth picking up!
Best Suited to Whom?
The Schwinn 130 Upright Bike can offer good value to both beginners as well as mid-level trainees. The bike comes with a lighter frame and has small pedals; this makes it best suited to smaller persons.
If you are looking for weight loss, toning the muscles, cardiovascular exercise, and moderate strength training, then this upright bike will be most suitable for you.
Schwinn 130 Upright Bike Assembly, Design and Build Quality
The Schwinn 130 Upright Bike is accompanied by a completely illustrated assembly instruction manual and many of the main components are already fixed together. You will only have to fix a few pieces such as the seat, console, posts, handlebars, stabilizers and pedals.
It might not appear to be a lot of work, however, you will have to follow all the instructions and take some time. The process would require an hour for a single person to complete it.
Design and Build Quality
The Schwinn 130 Upright Bike comes with a steel frame and some oversized stabilizer bars. These bars ensure that the bike is quite steady and no matter how hard you work out, there is no rocking and flexing.
The bike has been designed to exercise by being seated and not by standing on the pedals. There are no squeaks or creaks to distract you while you work out. You can always compare the model with the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike.
The Schwinn 130 Bike is quite easy to use and very comfortable. This is due to the ergonomic handlebars that are adjustable as per the preference of the user. This reduces the risk of a shoulder strain or aches in the upper body and also puts your body in an optimal position to get a comfortable workout.
This exercise bike also features an oversized crossbar tubing that gives additional stability, regardless of how vigorous the bike is being pedaled. The frame is made of solid steel and aluminum and it stops the bike from budging.
This is beneficial to a person who loves to indulge in some intense training sessions. Have a look at some of our best exercise bikes under $500.
The bike has large pedals along with firm straps that can easily accommodate any shoe size. Users will also appreciate the cooling fan that stops them from breaking into a sweat while they execute a lengthy workout.
Schwinn 130 Upright Bike Features
1. Seat: The seat height of the Schwinn 130 Upright Bike can be adjusted easily to fit a wide range of heights. The height of the seat can be changed but the horizontal position of the seat cannot be changed.
The bike seat is oversized and is meant to give the user comfort, however, a few people find that the seat makes their legs chafe. Luckily, these seats can be easily replaced.
2. Resistance: The Schwinn 130 comes with 20 levels of resistance that can be adjusted and they are displayed via the console. The resistance can be adjusted 1 level at a time or you can directly jump to any of the 10 levels.
The transition between various levels whether you move to the immediate next level or make a huge jump is quite smooth. The resistance varies from very easy levels to hard levels and this caters to a lot of people. The low resistance levels are quite easy and are good for beginners as it is not very challenging.
The top resistance levels are quite challenging for a user, but may not be challenging for an elite athlete. A majority of the users can find the level best suited for them and can pedal at any intensity they wish to.
3. Flywheel: The Schwinn 130 upright bike comes with a balanced high-inertia drive which functions quietly. When a bike changes between different resistance levels, the transition adjustment is not even audible.
4. Console: There are two data screens that give the user a lot of workout data. For distance run, the user can select between miles or kilometers. The user can adjust the console along with the attached forearm rests to get a personalized ergonomic fit.
5. Magnetic Brake: The Schwinn 130 bike runs via the Eddy Current Magnetic System that gives you a very quiet and smooth workout. You will really appreciate this feature, in case you wish to watch a movie or listen to music while you exercise.
6. Handlebars: This exercise bike from Schwinn has ergonomic handlebars and they can be easily adjusted to suit your preference. This reduces the risks of any shoulder strain as well as upper body aches when you put your body in an optimal position to get a comfortable workout.
7. Heart Rate Monitoring: The forearm rests have grip heart rate receivers embedded in them. These are not very convenient and accurate in contrast to the wireless heart rate systems. You can check out the Schwinn 170 Upright bike which features a wireless receiver.
8. High User Weight Capacity: The Schwinn 130 Upright Bike comes with a maximum user weight capacity of 300 pounds.
9. Footprint: This upright bike has a footprint that measures around 41” x 21” and it demands very little space.
10. Folding: When you are not using this bike, the bike will need an area of about 21.4” by 41.3”. This ensures that it will fit in any corner or a large closet. This bike will not overpower a room like the larger bikes. Hence, most of the people leave it out in the room itself.
11. Pedals: There is very little room between the entire bike and the pedals. A few customers have mentioned their shoes hit the side of the machine. This small issue has been corrected in the Schwinn 170 upright bike which would cost you just an additional $100.
12. Transport wheels: The bike has wheels attached which makes it easy to move the bike around. Levelers are also there with the bike that helps in making it stable after being relocated.
13. Leg Stabilizer: If the bike does move, there are levelers located on the stabilizer bar end caps at the back that are applied to level up the bike. This stops the rocking of the bike due to an uneven floor. Also, oversized stabilizer bars keep the bike steady.
14. Other Features
- USB Charger – The user can plug in their electronic devices into the bike with a USB cable and can charge them. The charging is quite slow, so in case you use a gadget like a tablet, it will not charge it up completely but will prevent the battery from running low. You have to own a USB cable.
- Media Shelf – The bike has a media shelf that can hold a tablet, an iPad, Kindle or an MP3 player. They remain quite steady on the shelf and you need not worry about the gadgets falling off. You can also watch videos or read from your seat. A tablet or iPad, however, will block the upper display.
- Water Bottle Holder – The plastic holder is located on the support post at the front. It must fit a drink bottle of any size as it is quite a large holder. You will have to lean forward and then slide the bottle out of the holder to use it and slide it back once used.
You will observe that your pedaling will have to slow down when you do this.
- Speakers – The speakers are not very loud and in case you wish to have loud music or better quality you will need your own set of speakers (separately) or you can use headphones. The device can be plugged into the console with the help of the supplied media cable. The volume along with program selection is done through your device.
- Fan – A button on the console operates the fan. The center of the console lets the wind out. It is a cool gentle breeze and not a wind, even when you are at the top levels.
- Fitness Account – There is a specific fitness account where the user can upload their workout results, i.e., the Schwinn Connect account. This account can be synced with MyFitnessPal.com to monitor your exercise. You will need to make use of a USB stick to execute this. It does not support Bluetooth.
This is where the user can get a lot of information and track their goal achievement.The myfitnesspal.com can be used to share with friends as well wherein you can also compete with your friends or other people.In case you wish to watch TV you will need to place the bike at an angle so as to ensure that the console does not block the TV.
Schwinn 130 Upright Bike Workout Programs
The Schwinn 130 upright bike has a lot of programming offered for the price. You can select from “Quick Start” (it is the manual mode), or from 19 workout routines as well as two fitness tests. The complete list is inclusive of:
- Quick Start
- Heart Rate Control (8)
- Profile (9)
- User-Defined (2)
- Fitness Tests (1 beginner, 1 advanced)
1. QuickStart: In order to access this, the quick-start button located on the console has to be pushed after you select the user profile. Then you begin the workout and adjust the resistance for the duration you desire.
2. Profile Programs: These programs are such that the user can adjust the resistance as they move through it. The programs are divided equally across three categories – there are fun rides, mountains, and challenges.
You can fix a distance, calories, or time target for the selected program. You can also modify the resistance in case you find it either too hard or too easy. You can pedal at the desired speed without any prompts from the console. There is good variety for all abilities and it will help you attain your fitness goals.
3. Fitness Test: This is a test of the fitness level of the user to check on their progress. The user can select between either a beginner or advanced. The user will have to hang on to the pulse sensors – post the warm-up period they will have about 3 minutes of continuous resistance.
After this, in the end, a score is given to the user, the higher the score is, the better is the level of fitness.
4. Heart Rate Control Programs: The Schwinn 130 Upright Bike has 4 programs i.e, 50 – 60%, 60 – 70 %, 70 – 80% and 80 – 90%. These programs are completely based on the target heart rate of the individual (depending on age). The user can choose whether he/she is a beginner or at the advanced level.
The resistance can be automatically changed up or down to keep the heart rate in the selected zone selected. The hand pulse sensors have to be gripped continuously for this to work. After the completion of a workout, the bike moves to a cool down program where the countdown starts from 3 minutes and the results of the program are displayed.
5. User Profiles: In the Schwinn 130 Upright Bike, 2 user profiles can be set. This will help the user get a better measure and result for both the people. This also helps in monitoring them even when it is uploaded to the user’s Schwinn Connect Fitness account.
The user can enter their name, gender, height, weight, and age as this will assist in calculating the calories burned and the heart rate zones.The favorite workout programs can be set here and the second display can be customized to display the measures the user wishes to view rather than keep rotating through the measures
If a person who has not been set up in the existing profiles makes use of this bike for their workout, the last person who has used the bike’s profile will be used to calculate the measures and the result will be added to their records.
If you are uploading the records online in order to analyze and maintain a record, you will have to keep this point in mind to ensure your records are up to date. In the Schwinn130 Upright Bike, the console can only save 2 user profiles along with 2 customized programs each.
Schwinn 130 Upright Bike Warranty
The Schwinn 130 Upright Bike comes with a warranty of ten years on the frame and two years on the parts. It also has a warranty of one year on electronic parts and wear parts.
In addition to this, the brand Schwinn Fitness also offers a six-week money-back guarantee on the bikes.
Schwinn 130 Upright Bike Pros & Cons
The Schwinn 130 Upright Bike is quite a good exercise bike available in the market. It comes with some amazing features that are normally not found in exercise bikes in the same price range. For instance, this bike has a lot of resistance levels as well as is compatible with myfitnesspal.com.
Though this bike has a few drawbacks, the advantages definitely outweigh the cons, thereby making this bike a good investment for anyone who wishes to lose some weight, tone their muscles, or just maintain their health.
Yes, cycling is one such rare exercise that gives you a complete body workout by getting energy from mainly your muscles, without exerting any extra strain on the joints.
An hour-long workout of medium resistance can easily lead to a deficit of about 400 to 500 calories whereas a workout of a higher resistance level can lead to the burning of about 900 or 1000 calories, based on the weight of the user, their fitness level, age, and gender.
If you are on the lookout for an exercise that will burn your calories and not your wallet, then the Schwinn 130 Upright Bike is a good buy.