Most of the people in the world are struggling with weight issues. Instead of doing workout they do not get desired results. Our diet plays a major role in shaping up and building of muscles and also help to lose weight. It is true diet plays a major role in losing or gaining of weight. Ketogenic diet in one such diet that will not just help you to lose fat but also keeps you fit and healthy.
A Keto diet is a diet with low carbs. It helps to transform the body that burns fat and show many benefits for performance, health and weight loss. This diet is similar to other low carbs diet such as Low carb, high fat. This diet is high in fat and adequate protein and low in carbohydrates that force the body to burn extra fat that is made of long-chain triglycerides (LCTs). A Ketogenic diet results in Ketosis that helps to adapt and measure the ketone levels for weight loss, health or for mental or physical performances.
What is Ketosis
To know about what is Ketosis, you need to understand its process. Ketosis is a metabolic process of the body to keep working. The Ketosis diet makes the body produce small fuel molecules known as Ketones. These are produced when you do not eat enough carbs in your diet. This will help to burn fat. When you are on Ketogenic diet, the insulin level becomes very low and this will help to burn fat dramatically. When you are a balanced diet and healthy, you body control the burning of fat that normally does not use ketones. But when you reduce your intake of carbs or calories, your body produce ketosis for energy. A Keto diet results in ketosis and has many benefits of weight loss – without having to fast.
The origin of Ketosis diet
It was in the 1920s and 30s, the Ketogenic diets had become popular and used as a therapy for epilepsy. It had demonstrated the success in treating epilepsy. Ancient Indian physicians and ancient Greek Physicians has studied fastening as a treatment to disease in detail. It has also described in Hippocratic Corpus, “On the Sacred Disease,” that diet plays an important role in managing epilepsy. In 1911, the first modern study about fastening was conducted in France. Twenty epilepsy patients had followed strict low carb diet. They had shown great improvements and improved mental abilities. In early 20th Century, Bernarr Macfadden who was an American also popularized fasting.
In 1960, it was shown in research that Ketones are generated through medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) per energy unit because Ketones transported through a hepatic portal vein to the liver. Peter Huttenlocher in 1971 developed a Ketogenic diet in which 60% of the calories came from MCT oil, in which more carbs and protein are included in contrast with the original ketogenic diet. Many hospitals also approved the MCT diet while some hospitals used a combination of the MCT and Ketogenic diet.
- Help to Fights Cancer – If you bad history of cancer in your family, Ketosis diet will help you to fight cancer. It is known to all that sugar feed the cancer cells. This diet that eliminates sugar and carbohydrates from your food can be very effective and helps to prevent cancer. In the body, regular cells get the energy with use the store fat but cancer cell cannot use fat for the metabolic shift. Basically, Ketogenic diet is made of 75% of fat, 20% of protein and 5% of carbs. There are minimum carbs which make the body burn fat in order to get the energy. This means that there is little sugar that blocks the body system to use fat in favour of burning sugar. When cancer cells are famished for sugar, when cancer cell have no sugar to feed then they starve to death.
- Help in Weight Loss – If you are struggling to lose weight then this diet can prove to be a blessing in disguise for you. It is well known that consumption of carbs leads to the release of insulin that elevates the blood glucose. Insulin helps to store energy as glycogen and fat. Following a diet that eliminates carbs and keeps body free from storage of carbs, this helps to prevent the release of too much insulin during meals. When you have less insulin in your body, your body will automatically start burning more fat in order to get energy and this will help you to lose weight quickly. Your body will burn fat even when you are sleeping. Your body will burn total body fat. This makes Ketogenic diet one of the effective ways to lose weight.
- Treats Alzheimer’s Disease – It has been shown in many types of research that low carb diet is one of the natural ways to treat the Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s can destroys the brain, confusion, memory loss, disorientation, poor judgment, agitation, and much more. It has been proved in research that this diet helps in correcting the brain defects and a useful and natural way to treat the Alzheimer’s.
- Increased Levels of Good Cholesterol – Most of the people fight with cholesterol issues. Basically, there are two types of cholesterol i.e good or bad. The bad cholesterol can lead to high risk of strokes or heart issues while the higher the level of good cholesterol, the lower the level of heart diseases. In order to increase the good cholesterol in your body, you need to eat healthy fats. Low carb diet has a lot of fat that helps to boost the level of good cholesterol in the body. It helps to lower down the triglycerides and increase HDL in blood that often referred as good cholesterol.
- Low down Blood Pressure – High blood pressure often leads to many diseases such as kidney failure, heart stroke or many others. It has shown in studies that Ketogenic Diet helps to reduce the level of blood pressure in the body. This will also help to prevent many diseases and help you to live healthy and longer.
Ketosis or Ketogenic diet is one of the best ways to shed those pounds and treat many diseases. Following this diet can do wonders on your body and you maintain a healthy lifestyle.